Death toll in Almaty terror attack rises to 5

19/07/2016 11:10
Asia-Plus
Views: 5300

DUSHANBE, July 19, 2016, Asia-Plus -- Five people were killed and seven injured in a gun attack in Kazakhstan’s commercial capital Almaty, according to Interfax.

“Among the law enforcement officials and civilians five people were killed, seven more were injured in an illegal act,” the city's counter-terror headquarters said on Monday.

Earlier it was reported about four people killed, including three policemen.

We will recall that a “red” alert has been issued for Kazakhstan’s city of Almaty after unknown gunmen attacked a police station on July 18.  

Local media was reporting attacks at a police station and the local department of the Committee for National Security (CNS) said one of its facilities in Almaty had come under attack.

One attacker, 27, has been captured but an accomplice is still at large, the interior ministry said in a statement on Monday.

The government has raised the terror threat level but not said who was behind the attack.

Two gunmen attacked a police station in central Almaty. 

As they fled the scene, one of the gunmen shot and killed a local resident before hijacking his car.

At least one of the attackers has been taken into custody.

Kazakh authorities said two police officers had also been wounded in the attack and identified the detained gunman as a former convict wanted for the murder of a woman earlier this month.

The attack comes a month after a deadly assault in the northwestern town of Aktobe.  Kazakhstan was already on “yellow” alert after a rampage in early June by a group of young men in the northwestern city of Aktobe that left at least 28 people dead.

Content

Comments

News no