Dushanbe, Tashkent expected to resume border talks in November

03/07/2015 16:41
Avaz Yuldoshev
Views: 11739

DUSHANBE, July 3, 2015, Asia-Plus -- Dushanbe and Tashkent are currently considering the issue of holding the next meeting of the Tajik-Uzbek intergovernmental commission for demarcation and delimitation of disputed stretches of mutual border, an official source in the Tajik government told Asia-Plus in an interview.

“Most likely, the next round of border talks between Tajikistan and Uzbekistan will take place in Dushanbe in early November this year,” the source said.

We will recall that the previous meeting the Tajik-Uzbek border commission took place in Dushanbe on February 20-22, 2012 after a three-year pause.

The Tajik-Uzbek border delimitation talks had been stalled since February 2009 after Tajikistan rejected Uzbekistan’s proposal to give up some disputed lands to the Tajik side on condition that Tashkent will gain full control of Farkhod water reservoir along the two countries’ border.

The Tajik-Uzbek border is over 1,200 kilometers long, 16 percent of which remain disputed.

Comments

News no