Tajikistan’s Academy of Sciences condemns members of banned IRPT for supporting Erdogan

28/07/2016 10:27
Asia-Plus
Views: 5490

DUSHANBE, July 28, 2016, Asia-Plus – A statement released by Shervon Umriddin, a spokesman for the Academy of Sciences, on July 27 condemns members of the banned Islamic Republic of Tajikistan (IRPT) for supporting Turkish official authorities.

The statement, in particular, says some members of the banned IRPT received the news about Turkish authorities’ victory over the coup perpetrators with gladness and began flattering and praising the Turkish government.

“They wrote in social networks and media outlets that the majority of the population of Turkey supported their leader.  This shabby and dishonorable action of the IRPT supporters is surprised and illogical because they themselves intended to make coup in Tajikistan in September last year.  After the failed attempt they fled to Turkey.  And now they condemn mutineers and support the official authorities of a strange country,” the statement says. 

These actions of the IRPT members reportedly show that supporters of this party depend on the authorities of this country and are waiting for “several kopeks” from them.  “All this shows that the IRP has always been a tool in strange hands and has been acting in their interest.”

Umriddin notes that IRPT leaders do not release or do not want to realize that Turkish people came out on the street in order to not allow damages and bloodshed.   

The Islamic Revival Party of Tajikistan held places in the government from the end of the 1990s until March 2015, when the party lost two seats it had in parliament.  Tajik authorities then moved quickly to cancel the IRPT’s registration.  Leading members and activists of the party were detained last September after being connected to an alleged mutiny by a deputy defense minister.  

Tajikistan’s Supreme Court banned the Islamic Revival Party as terrorist group on September 29, 2015 on the basis of a suit filed by the Prosecutor-General’s Office.  The Supreme Court ruled that the IRP should be included on a blacklist of extremist and terrorist organizations.  The verdict forces the closure of the IRP's official newspaper Najot and bans the distribution of any video, audio, or printed materials related to the party's activities.

Party leader Muhiddin Kabiri, who now lives in exile, has rejected the accusations.

Meanwhile, international media outlets report Turkey has dismissed nearly 1,700 military personnel and closed more than 130 media outlets.

A total of 1,684 military personnel have reportedly been dishonorably discharged after the July 15-16 abortive putsch, where a faction of the military attempted to topple the government, according to Reuters.

President Tayyip Erdogan has accused US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen of masterminding the failed coup and authorities have already suspended, dismissed or placed under investigation more than 60,000 soldiers, police, teachers, judges and others suspected of links to the Gulen movement.

Mr. Gulen denies any involvement in the coup attempt.

Quoting the government official, Reuters reports that of the military personnel whose discharge was announced on Wednesday, 149 were generals and admirals.  That would represent roughly 40 percent of all Turkish generals and admirals, military data show.

In addition, the government said in its official gazette that three news agencies, 16 television channels, 45 newspapers, 15 magazines and 29 publishers have been ordered shut down.

These moves, which follow the closure of other media outlets with suspected Gulenist ties, will further stoke concerns among rights groups and Western governments about the scale of Erdogan's post-coup purges.

The United States said on Wednesday it understood Turkey's need to hold perpetrators of the attempted coup to account but said the detention of more journalists was part of a “worrisome trend.”

Comments

News no